CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday 14 January 2008

In which Tim introduces a new project

I am new to storytelling.

Oh sure, I’m not entirely shrink-wrapped and shiny, nor wet behind the ears. But I’d be naïve not to realise that I’ve got a lot to learn, and that I need to hone my skills, expand my repertoire and work to build repute and credibility as an artist.

In 2007 I was commended at the Young Storyteller Competition. As a direct result of that I was invited to perform at the Festival at the Edge, and Beyond the Border, both very exciting (not to mention enormously useful,) opportunities. I’m delighted to be back at the Young Storyteller Competition as an MC this year, to partake in the grand event that will hopefully boost the confidence, bolster the resolve and bring attention to another year’s worth of young people trying to find their way in storytelling.

But I digress. 2007 brought some wonderful opportunities and challenges, and in each of them an opportunity to grow as a storyteller. In 2008 I wanted to go even further, to really push what I could do as a performer.

What I needed was some endeavour, something bigger and more challenging than anything I’ve undertaken before, something that I could focus on which would (and will) push me in new directions, and hopefully result in a tangible and brilliant piece of storytelling.

The project? To put together an adaptation of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, the 14th century manuscript of mysterious origin.

The idea is pretty simple. Multi-instrumentalist Ashley Tuck and I will produce and perform an hour long show, with the story supported by song, extracts in Middle English, music and sound-scapes. We’ll kick off in Sheffield, and then take the piece on tour for the rest of 2008. Hopefully what we lack in experience we can make up for in enthusiasm. If not, then we’re in real trouble.

And because I work best with a clear deadline, the debut performance is already on the cards. The first of May, (Beltaine,) at the Showroom in Sheffield. I hope to see you there.

I’ve got a few other gigs between now and then, and I’ll post about them here, as well as a few other projects I’m working on. I’ll also use this as something of a design diary for the Sir Gawain piece, where I’ll explore the choices we take, the changes we make, and the mistakes we learn from as we go.

0 comments: